What causes a heart attack?
Why does blood flow to the heart become blocked?
|Heart attacks often occur when plaque in the arteries|
ruptures, creating clots that block blood flow to the heart.
Risk Factors That Cannot be ChangedMany risk factors for heart attacks and heart disease cannot be changed, such as:
- Sex (men are more likely to develop atherosclerosis)
- Genetic predisposition to heart disease or stroke
Modifiable Cardiovascular Risk FactorsMany heart disease risk factors are controllable. These risk factors include:
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High blood sugar (diabetes)
- Cigarette smoking
- Poor nutrition
- Absence of regular physical activity
- Being overweight
Most heart attacks are preventable, but steps must be taken to reduce your risk.Are you concerned with your risk of heart attack? Penn Medicine's Preventive Cardiovascular Program offers a wide range of services for individuals looking to learn what their risk is for cardiovascular disease.
Preventive Cardiovascular Program